Welcome!

This website is designed to be your main stop on your journaling adventure! I wanted a site where if you wanted to find a class or a cool website you didn't have to spend hours or days searching the web for your options. You could come here and see your options all in one place. Now I know I won't have EVERY class, site, book, magazine, etc... but if you know or find a cool site not listed you can help out and let me know! There will also be reviews and art/written journaling tip, information, photos and videos. So stop by often.

This is a place to share information and your opinions, so please feel free to comment.

STAY TUNED: The new free class BEAUTIFUL BACKGROUNDS FOR BEGINNERS; FOR ART JOURNALS will be announced soon!!!




Friday, May 4, 2012

Why hello!

I'm Star.  I started art journaling about three years ago... and I was a complete beginner!  I had been keeping a written journal for years and years and was tired of the page after page of gook spewing on the page.  I had read a bit about art journals but I certainly wasn't an artist.  I made cards from rubber stamps, and had a good eye for graphic design but I was NOT and artist.  So I started decorating the background pages of my journal.  I  would get my journal on Sunday, use a stamp and stamp the background of 12 to 15 pages for the week.  I had to use a black brush marker so the journaling would show up nicely but it looked really nice.  But making those pages, week after week got really old.  When I was done with that journal, a first for me to actually complete an entire journal from front to back, I decided to decorate the edges of the page with collage and maybe some oil pastels for color... that's what started it!

I have taken quite a few online classes.  I LOVE them!!  You can learn from awesome people and get all sorts of  technique and experience from the wonderful teachers online!  I learned how to collage first because I didn't know what to do with paint or drawing.  Then gradually I branched out to using paints, then pastels, chalk, gesso, gel media...  I still consider myself an intermediate beginner but I am still eager to learn.

When I started, it was kind of hit or miss to find classes.  I had to search the web, looking for classes for a beginner.  I was so lucky.  I found some really awesome classes.  But when I was done with one and wanted to find another I had to go in search, yet again.  I thought to myself, wouldn't it be great to have a listing of courses all in one place?  I found a listing once but by the time I found it most of the classes were over.

So I decided to make my own.  Now I know there is no way I can find all of the classes out there in the world wide web.  The ones listed are ones I have found and ones I have taken. You can help too, if you know of a class not listed, please let me know.  You can even write a review.  That goes for websites, books, and website tutorials!

Class Review: "30 Days In Your Journal by Julie Fei-Fan Balzer.

Who is this class for:  Everyone, beginners and up.
Supplies:  There are quite a few supplies listed but Julie always lets you know how to substitute with something you already have on hand.
Techniques: Painting, doodling, collaging, journaling, printing (or stamping) just to name a few.
Format: 30 days of video instruction with great daily written description of the process and supplies used.

This is a wonderful class.  Lots of video, lots of instruction, very reasonably price.  This is a great class for beginner art journalers and up.   I particularly like her day to day format (that you can go through at your own pace).  She makes painting and creating art very non-intimidating for her students.  She is down to earth and very instructive.  She wants you to show you how to be creative every day. You will be spoiled after taking this class that has 30 videos but you will also be inspired!!  I give this class a 5 Journals out of 5 rating.  Find a link to class information under Class Listing.

No comments:

Post a Comment